Day Trading Stock Picks – US and Canadian Lists
Day trading stock picks likely to move big (up or down) during the week of April 28, 2020. See lists and statistics for both US and Canadian day trading stocks.
These day trading stocks have a strong history of percentage or dollar volatility. That means these stocks are highly likely to move big (up or down–trade the intraday trends) each day for the next week.
The list is broken down into three sections.
The first section looks at stocks that typically have high percentage volatility each day. These are the criteria for these volatility-based day trading stock picks:
Greater than 4.5% moves intraday, on average.
- More than 4 million average volume (typically more).
- No leveraged ETFs.
- Priced between $5 and $150…although this screen typically tends to produce stocks that are on the lower end of that price range.
The second section looks at stocks that tend to move big in terms of dollar movement. Here are the criteria for those types of stocks.
- The stock moves more than $2 per day.
- The stock does more than 6,000,000 average volume daily.
Since these sections look at different criteria, they also produce different stocks.
The third section looks at Canadian day trading stocks. The Toronto Stock Exchange is a much smaller market, so the above searches don’t work as well. Instead, when searching for volatile Canadian stocks, the following parameters are used:
- Greater than 1 million average volume.
- Price greater than $5.
- 70th percentile of volatility for all stocks on the exchange. In other words, if all stocks on the TSX are ranked by volatility, only the ones that rank in the top 30% will be included in the results.
These lists are not recommending a specific trade or direction. For some guidance on day trading the stock picks discussed below, see How to Day Trade Stocks in 2 Hours or Less which discusses how and where to enter trades, how to exit trades, when to trade, and risk management.
Pick a few stocks and trade them; don’t try to trade all of them.
Trading volatile stocks isn’t for everyone. It takes quick reflexes and fast execution to take advantage of the large moves in these stocks. Make sure you have a stable high-speed internet connection. Your broker should execute trades instantly. If there is a lag or delay between when you place your order and when it reaches the exchange (is confirmed), that presents a potential issue as you may end up missing your entries or exits.
If you are more of a do-it-yourself person and like to look for stocks that are moving a lot each day, I recommend getting a Finviz Elite subscription. Use it to see what is moving aggressively each day in the pre-market and during the day, look for stocks that are gapping pre-market, and run technical filters for stocks breaking out of ranges or other chart patterns. This is ideal for people who don’t like waiting for trades and instead like to actively seek out trades all day long.
Day Trading Stock Picks for Week of April 28, 2020
5-minute charts provided by TradingView. Charts may take a moment to update. Charts show BATS only transactions (BATS provides free trade data, which isn’t the same as official real-time data of all transactions).
Penn National Gaming (PENN)
Average day range (30) is 20.13% and average volume (30) is 12.4 million.
Norwigian Cruise Lines (NCLH)
Average day range (30) is 15.81% and average volume (30) is 31.4 million.
Apache Corp. (APA)
Average day range (30) is 15.45% and average volume (30) is 28.3 million.
L Brands (LB)
Average day range (30) is 14.47% and average volume (30) is 11.6 million.
United Airlines Holdings (UAL)
Average day range (30) is 14.06% and average volume (30) is 33.7 million.
EQT Corporation (EQT)
Average day range (30) is 13.57% and average volume (30) is 10.5 million.
Average day range (30) is 13.45% and average volume (30) is 32.2 million.
Virgin Galactic Holdings (SPCE)
Average day range (30) is 13.45% and average volume (30) is 14.1 million.
Other Good Day Trading Stocks and ETFs
Another option is to look for stocks with large daily moves in dollar terms (for example, the price typically moves $2 a day and does at least 6 million in volume). This type of screen also tends to produce stocks that provide ample volatility for trading the intraday price moves. These stocks are typically higher-priced or have experienced a recent price shock. Average True Range is a common indicator that measures daily average movement (in dollars).
- Nvidia (NVDA): ATR (14) is $12.98 and Average Volume (30) is 15.8 million.
- Roku Inc. (ROKU): ATR (14) is $8.99 and Average Volume (30) is 13.4 million.
- Apple(AAPL): ATR (14) is $7.9 and Average Volume (30) is 49.4 million.
- Facebook (FB): ATR (14) is $6.66 and Average Volume (30) is 25.7 million.
- Microsoft Corp. (MSFT): ATR (14) is $4.90 and Average Volume (30) is 56.4 million.
Canadian Day Trading Stocks
Daily charts are provided for Canadian stocks.
- Canopy Growth (WEED): ATR (14) is $1.73 and Average Volume (30) is 2.5 million.
- Eldorado Gold (ELD): ATR (14) is $0.95 and Average Volume (30) is 1.6 million.
- First Quantum Minerals (FM): ATR (14) is $0.68 and Average Volume (30) is 4.6 million.
- Tech Resources (TECK.B): ATR (14) is $0.94 and Average Volume (30) is 3.8 million.
Remember Risk Management
Losing trades WILL happen. Don’t risk more than 1% of your trading account on a trade (risk = difference between entry price and stop loss price, multiplied by the number of shares). Slippage is likely in these stocks. Make sure the stock can support the position size you wish to trade. Failing to do so could result in further slippage.
See the video: How to Find Volatile Stocks for Day Trading (in 20 minutes a week) for the method used to find these stocks.