This article aims at introducing the best blockchain stocks to buy in a world that recovers after the COVID-19 pandemic. The technology sector in the United States in particular fared very well during the health crisis and blockchain-based technologies and companies profited from renewed interest from investors.
Overview of the Blockchain Companies
The blockchain industry generated a lot of interest in the last years, even though much of the initial hype disappeared after cryptocurrencies topped in December 2017. However, a renewed interest in the back of cryptocurrencies making new all-time highs sent the shares of blockchain companies to sky-high levels.
The industry is forecast to expand and blockchain is often known as the “technology of trust”, in the sense that the technology does not fail. Based on the DLT or Distributed Ledger Technology, it has numerous applications in the fintech space and attracted a lot of interest from the investing community in general.
Blockchain is an energy-intensive industry and requires large investments for its infrastructure. The blockchain stocks presented in this article are involved in all areas blockchain-related, from crypto-mining to maintenance of blockchain infrastructure and other adjacent products and services.
What Are the Trading Hours for Blockchain Shares?
Most shares are listed over the counter or OTC, but some of the companies presented in this list are listed on the Nasdaq too. Therefore, make sure you are familiar with the North American trading hours.
Where Can I Buy Blockchain Shares?
Brokerage houses and online brokers give retail traders access to financial markets around the world. By selecting the asking price from the broker’s quotation, traders buy participation and gain exposure on the blockchain share they want.
We've shortlisted the best blockchain stocks to buy in 2021 and you can start trading them in our recommended brokers by clicking on the buttons of the following table
Top 10 Blockchain Shares to Buy
These are the best ten blockchain shares to buy in 2021 based on their exposure to the blockchain technology and industry as well as their financial strength.
- Blockchain Foundry
- Ebang International Holdings
- Codebase Ventures
- Long Blockchain Corporation
- Argo Blockchain
- Ault Global Holdings
- Hive Blockchain
- Riot Blockchain
- DMG Blockchain Solutions
A Canadian company headquartered in Toronto, Blockchain Foundry offers blockchain-based business solutions in Europe, Canada, and across the Americas. It offers a marketplace called Blockmarket suite, a platform that connects buyers and sellers and allows clients to have a custom wallet.
- Market capitalization: $26.04 million
- Listed in the United States on the OTC – Over the Counter, or the grey market, under the symbol BLFDF
- Up over 450% in the last 12 months
- Down 5% so far in 2021
Ebang International Holdings
Ebang is based in China and produces machines used for mining Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. It also produces accessories and fiber optic communication access devices among other products.
- Market capitalization: $839.92 million
- In December 2020, it announced plans to launch its own cryptocurrency exchange
- Listed on Nasdaq under the ticker EBON
- Up 2.47% this year, lagging the industry returns
Another Canadian company from Toronto, Bitfarm mines for cryptocurrency, and one of its segments, called Backbone, is used at validating Bitcoin transactions on the blockchain. Founded in 2017, it has a gross profit margin of about 9% in the last twelve months.
- Market capitalization: $365.81 million
- The company’s share price benefited from the crypto-frenzy seen in 2021 so far and is up over 65% in less than a month
- Listed on the OTC market under the symbol BFARF
- The share price rose by 600% in the last year alone
Codebase Ventures is the new name of a former company known before as 260 Blockchain Inc. The company changed its name two years ago and runs investment in the technology space, but also diversifies its business into biotechnology and cannabis.
- Market capitalization: -
- Thinly traded in the OTC market under the symbol BKLLF
- The share price is up 48% year-to-date
Long Blockchain Corporation
From Farmingdale, New York, the United States, the Long Blockchain Corporation explores and invests in blockchain technologies and businesses. However, this is not the main business, as it also produces and distributes ice tea in the United States.
- Market capitalization: $9.67 million
- Traded on the OTC market under the LBCC ticker
- 165% 52-week performance
- Down 19% YTD
A cryptocurrency mining company, Argo Blockchain announced at the start of this year that it mined 92 Bitcoin last December. A global leader in its field, it is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Outstanding shares: 317.65 million
- Traded on the OTC market under the ticker ARBKF
- Up 208% year-to-date
Ault Global Holdings
Headquartered in Las Vegas, the United States, Ault Global Holdings is involved in providing power system solutions to the IT industry around the world. It also delivers UPS – Uninterrupted Power Supply – products and operates an online fintech portal. It recently announced that it will resume Bitcoin mining at an energy-efficient plant-based in Michigan, United States
- Market capitalization: $137.94 million
- Shares are up 282% this year alone
- Listed on the NYSE under the symbol DPW
- It recently raised $50 via shares sale
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, Hive Blockchain is a cryptocurrency mining company with operations in Sweden and Iceland as well. It changed its name in 2017 and mines and sells cryptocurrencies such a Bitcoin or Ethereum.
- Market capitalization: $816.96 million
- 52-week performance over 900%
- Listed Over-the-Counter under the ticker HVBTF
- Last year in December it launched convertible debentures in a private placement
- Up 24.34% YTD
From Castle Rock, Colorado, the United States, Riot Blockchain is one of the companies that benefited the most from the hype in the cryptocurrency universe. It builds, supports, and even operates Blockchain technologies. It also develops a payment ecosystem and offers blockchain solutions for large telecommunication companies.
- Market capitalization: $2.21 billion
- Recently on a tear higher after Tesla announced $1.5 billion invested in Bitcoin
- Listed on Nasdaq under the ticker RIOT
- It installed over 2,500 Antminers in January 2020
- The share price is up over 1500% in the last five years
- Up 93% YTD
DMG Blockchain Solutions
A blockchain and cryptocurrency company, DMB Blockchain Solutions develops digital ways to monetize the blockchain ecosystem. It also provides hosting services for industrial mining clients as well as technical expertise and consultation services to accounting or law firms.
- Market capitalization: $112 million
- Recently announced a joint mining pool with Marathon Patent
- Listed on the OTC under the DMGGF ticker
- Shares are up 147% year to date already
Expert Tip On Investing in Blockchain Shares
Keep an eye on all-news related to Bitcoin and the other major cryptocurrencies. All the blockchain-related companies depend on mining costs even if they are not involved directly in the mining industry. If you want, a comparison can be made with the price of gold and gold mining – the entire industry declines when the price of gold declines. Therefore, if Bitcoin evolves in a rising trend, the chances are that the blockchain shares will outperform the market as well.
Why Invest in Blockchain Shares?
Blockchain technology revolutionized payment transactions by slashing costs. It has numerous other applications and the DLT is used increasingly in the fintech space.
Frequently Asked Questions
That would be Hive Blockchain. It runs a huge operation and has one of the largest market capitalizations among the companies involved in mining cryptocurrencies and validating transactions on the blockchain.
The cryptocurrency market is in a frenzy as Bitcoin trades close to $50k after Tesla announced a huge $1.5 billion investment. Crypto exchanges around the world reported stronger than ever interest in the cryptocurrency space.
RIOT Blockchain. It has the largest market capitalization that recently exceeded $2.2 billion and
The blockchain industry attracts investors of all kinds – from speculators to people that believe that blockchain technology is capable of changing the monetary-financial system
DMG Blockchain Solutions. It has a strong market capitalization, stable, and has its business consolidated over the last year enough to compensate for the volatility in the crypto space.
The industry generated one of the biggest returns in the past decade. Bitcoin is up 4.5 times since last October, and that move triggered ripple effects over the entire crypto ecosystem.